A Brazilian specialist in cosmetic surgery said to have operated the Libyan leader Muamar Kadhafi aiming to rejuvenate it, in an intervention carried out 16 years ago in his bunker in Tripoli. Dr. Ribeiro, 70-year-old and who still works in two clinics in Rio de Janeiro, said that Kadhafi “demanded an imperceptible operation”.
The plastic surgeon stated that he wanted to leave Kadhafi’s face smooth, back in 1995. Kadhafi demanded an undetectable surgery. The same plastic surgeon also would have operated Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi.
According to the brasilian liposuction doctor, Kadhafi “said that he was in power for many years and that he did not want that young people see him as an old”.
“Though well educated and intelligent, Kadhafi seemed shy, introvert and cold”, said Ribeiro, who after having saved this episode secretly decided to disclose it “to contribute to the understanding of this character of the story on which there is much speculation and little information”. At the time of this report Kadhafi was 68 years old and he had been in power since the beginning of the 70s.
Brazilian specialist said that he was contacted in 1994 by the then Minister Libyan health, Muammad Zaid, while taking part in a Conference on plastic surgery in Tripoli.
At the end of that Plastic Surgery Conference, Zaid told him that he wanted to present a very dear person. Ribeiro thought that it was his wife and that she wanted to breast aesthetic surgery. “You are going to examine our leader,” said the Minister when they both reached the bunker of Kadhafi.
Ribeiro returned in 1995 to operate it, along with a colleague of him who was a specialist in hair implants and Smart Liposuction. Specialists removed fat from the abdomen of the Libyan leader and injected it into the wrinkles on the cheeks. They also improved the appearance of the eyelids and concealed a scar on the right side of his face.
More than 1,000 prisoners escaped on Sunday from a prison in Libya at the time that demonstrators broke into the offices of political parties throughout the country. Protesters took to the streets of Libya for the murder of an activist critical of the Muslim Brotherhood in the country.
Inmates started a riot and set fire in different parts of the prison when the security forces opened fire on three detainees who tried to escape from the prison, located on the outskirts of Benghazi, said an official spokesman.
Illegal armed forces arrived quickly to prison after the news of the riots, opening fire outside the building in an attempt to free their imprisoned relatives.
Special Forces subsequently arrested 18 fugitives, and some returned on their own, said Mohamed Heyazi, an official of the Government in Benghazi’s security. The three inmates injured in the first escape attempt were moved to a local hospital, he said.
Also on Saturday hundreds of people gathered in the capital, Tripoli, after the morning prayers to denounce the assassination on Friday of Abdul-Salam Al – Musmari. They set fire to tires in the streets and demanded the definite dissolution of Islamist parties.
HRW has asked Libya to deliver as soon as possible Saif al-Islam, the oldest son of the assassinated Libyan dictator Muammar al-Gaddafi, to the International Criminal Court (ICC), where he is accused of crimes against humanity. The decision of Libya “to go on with a national trial against Saif al-Gaddafi, and not acknowledging that there is a warrant of the ICC. As such not delivering him to the Hague is a serious mistake,” said HRW, Richard Dicker, international justice director. The Libyan authorities confirmed this morning that it has decided to postpone the trial, which was due to begin today, until the begining of December.
Despite the fact that Libya is not a signatory to the Treaty that established the ICC, the UN Security Council adopted a resolution that was sent the case of that country before the High Court and required their full cooperation, including adhere to its procedures and abide by their decisions and requests.
HRW recalled that the High Court considers that Libya has not provided sufficient evidence to demonstrate that you investigating the same case to the ICC, in addition to the international judges believe that the authorities of that country have not been able to ensure legal representation for the accused or have facilitated its transfer to custody governmental.
Libya started importing diesel and fuel oil to counter increasing power cuts, while the ranks of drivers range in service stations and daily life becomes increasingly difficult in the midst of an unprecedented crisis.
Currently the Government still not managed to impose authority in Libya. It has failed to rebuild security apparatuses, and it has not put an end to the rivalry between armed militias that emerged during the revolt against Gaddafi. The crisis in which it is submerged Libya since the end of July live one of their more highlights due to blockage of oil pipelines and ports of distribution of oil – the main economic resource of the country – by workers, security guards and armed groups, calling for labour and political changes.
The capital, Tripoli, suffers from regular power outages that have worsened in recent days and officials have said that Libya could expect more rationing if the crisis continues.
Libya’s crude oil sales have dropped to less than 10 percent of the export capacity of less than 100,000 barrels per day (bpd), according to a Reuters estimate, while the country saves the remaining production for domestic consumption.
The decline in domestic production has also resulted in worst rows to the usual in gas stations in the capital, where he lives a quarter of the population of six million, and for months has been a strong demand of gasoline allegedly derived from an increase in auto imports.